FRIENDS of the CATHEDRAL
Would you like to become a Friend of the Cathedral? To be part of a long and proud tradition of service?
There are many ways you can become involved by joining the Friends of St Saviour's Cathedral. Membership is open to anyone interested in the life of the Cathedral community and the care of our Heritage precinct. Membership fee is $20 per year for individual. We encourage anyone with a deep love of St.Saviour's Cathedral, either residing within Canberra/Goulburn Diocese or beyond to consider being a "Friend of the Cathedral".
For the 150th anniversary of our diocese and proclamation of Goulburn as a city, the Friends of St.Saviour embarked on a 'journey of faith' in sponsoring the development and distribution of a new St.Saviour's Rose. The ruby through magenta tones of the rose were chosen as being representative of the colours for kings and queens and therefore significant for Christ our King and Saviour.
"Friends" receive invitations to social events, the Annual General Meeting and Friends of the Cathedral service; Information on concerts and special events at the Cathedral; Winter Soup & Sandwich luncheon and Newsletters.
Some of the many activities our circle of Friends may participate in :
- Guides or Minders welcoming tourists and pilgrims
- Needlework and embroidery
- Practical work around the Cathedral
- Meeting others at social functions
- Fund raising and helping with Cathedral functions
- Putting forward new ideas
Friends recognise St Saviour's as:
- A place where the worship of the church is offered day by day
- A place where God is worshipped in word and sacrament, music and silence
- The Mother Church - a gathering place for the whole of the Diocese of Canberra and Goulburn
- A building of high heritage value, architectural spendour and artistic beauty
- A focus for people in need
- A place for modern day pilgrims and tourists from all parts of the world